Register your interest

A brighter future for Erith

Identity

Erith Park is the first major development in the wider regeneration of Erith. It is important that the new development has a strong positive identity, establishing itself as a neighbourhood of quality, and clearly placing it within the heart of Erith. 

The architectural style is distinctive within the area, but follows a scale and palette of materials which fits within the suburban setting. Subsequent planning proposals in the local area are now proposing a similar range of elevational treatments.

Part of Erith Park has been designated as a site of geomorphological interest, and we worked with the London Geodiversity Partnership to find out more about our geological history and produced an information board.

This activity ignited an interest in local history amongst both our residents and the regeneration team. Through this, we developed Walk the Talk, a self-guided tour of Erith Park and the surrounding area, telling the stories of residents old and new.

We also recruited the help of a local newspaper to invite suggestions for new names for street names and apartment blocks in Phase 1.

The new names, which all have roots in local history, are:

Downton Mews – not named after the TV programme but after artist and philosopher John Downton (1906-1991) who was born in Erith.

Beadle Place – the Beadle family were coal merchants in Erith. Fred and Charles Beadle gave a donation to help build Erith Hospital.

Gunning Place – GH Gunning, Erith builder and philanthropist, built some of the older houses around Erith Park and donated land for the first Erith Hospital.

Starkey Place – Named after the family which ran Randal Press Ltd business in Erith from 1902. The company still exists and have relocated to Crayford.

Butler Drive – Edward Butler (1862-1940), born in Erith, invented an early motorcycle

Callender Road – Erith’s Callender Cable works projects include the D Day pipeline under the English Channel.

Talbot Place – this is a reminder of Talbot Estates, who ran the Wharf on the riverfront from 1932 – 1957.

Click here to find out more about the history behind the names.

Click here to find out more about the geology of Erith Park

Return to Interactive Map